Ever been in a car accident? According to statistics, the number of car accidents in Queens, New York is very high. Many people have sustained injuries, and others killed in Queens. It has been due to high-speed impacts or differences in size between the involved cars. An accident may lead to permanent disability, high medical bills, or extreme pain.
In New York, specific drivers might drive carelessly with negligence. Regardless of the fault, the insurance company will cover the cost of certain damages. If someone is seriously injured, no-fault insurance doesn’t apply. The negligent driver is held accountable and has to pay the expenses for the injury sustained. These negligent actions include:
- Drunk driving.
- Disobeying traffic laws.
If someone experienced serious injury, they can file the case in court and seek higher damages. The insurance company will compensate you regardless. A lawyer will find any possible way to get your compensation by making sure you get maximum payment. In case your injury meets the following standards, you can go to court.
- Loss of pregnancy.
- Loss of limb.
- Loss of an organ.
- Serious disfigurement.
- Broken bones.
According to Sullivan & Galleshaw you should find a committed accident lawyer if your intention is for the victim to get compensated accordingly. We all know that an injury will affect you financially, emotionally, and mentally.
Car crash injuries
Traumatic brain injury
The brain controls all the functions of the body and ensures every body system works well. Brain injury can significantly alter your life. If the car accident caused an impact or trauma to the head, it leads to:
- Difficulty in concentrating.
- Motor control problems.
- Issues with language or speech.
It may occur due to:
- Friction burns.
- Chemical burns by materials used in vehicle operations.
- A vehicle fire by a spark during a collision.
If the speed changes abruptly or there is a violent impact, the tissue or muscles undergoes shearing and tearing. The victim’s head snaps back and forth in a painful motion leading to the damage of soft tissue and muscle.
It may take years to heal. It can affect how your body functions permanently.
Types of car accidents
It can help to find out what caused the accident. They include:
- Hit and run.
- Head-on collision.
- Drunk driving.
- Rollover accidents.
- Rear-end crashes.
How does a car accident attorney help you?
Their main goal is to enable you to restore stability at your home after an accident. They ensure that:
- You get medical treatment that is necessary to restore your health.
- You reclaim indirect and direct expenses caused by an injury sustained during the accident.
- You understand what to expect from the insurance claim process and notify you about the progress of your case.
- Evidence from your case strengthens your claim by finding video footage, police report, and witness testimony.
- Proper paperwork is filed.
- They negotiate with the insurance adjuster on your behalf.
- You get legal advice.
- You have an accurate estimate of the settlement.
- You are represented in court.
They prove liability by conducting an investigation and gathering evidence. The best car accident attorney should anticipate potential defenses from the insurance company and at-fault party. They should argue why the driver’s actions should be rendered negligent and why they should be held accountable.
Things to consider when choosing an attorney.
For you to focus on recovery, you should hire a reputable attorney who represents your best interest. When consulting with prospective lawyers, you should consider the following:
- The lawyer you choose should have specific experience dealing with car accident cases. Make inquiries about their experience. They should be able to argue a case in court and have a good track record of winning cases.
- Clear communication.A good lawyer will make you understand what their plan of winning the case is and should answer all your questions.
- Provides references willingly.Ask the lawyer if they can give you a list of references that you can contact and communicate with. Ask the contact about the attorney’s reputation. You will feel more confident knowing that the attorney was willing to share their list of references even if you fail to contact them. Avoid an attorney who can’t provide a list.
- Engaged conversation.The lawyer you choose should be interested in your case for you to get maximum settlements. An engaged lawyer will ask many detailed questions concerning your case and your legal goals.
- Organized office.If their office space is well-organized, there is a high probability that they are organized. How are the staff doing their job? Is the lawyer’s desk tidy? An attorney who isn’t well organized cannot handle your case. Avoid if the lawyer has to shuffle through a lot of papers to find what they are looking for and if their staff is struggling with answering calls.
Attorney’s fees and cost.
Before signing a retainer agreement, ensure you discuss the attorney:
- Billing practices.
- Fee structure.
- Payment of costs.
Ensure you know how to make payments and understand how much you owe the lawyer. When a lawyer takes your case on a contingency fee, it means that unless the lawyer recovers money from your claim, they won’t get an attorney fee. Cost is the overall expenses associated with your case. They include:
- Travel expenses.
- Court fees.
- Expert witness fee.
- Document request fees.
- Deposition fee.
Being a victim of a car accident can be devastating. You might get serious injuries that alter your life. It leads to high medical bills, inability to work, permanent disability, extreme pain, or death. If the driver was texting, drinking under the influence of alcohol, overspeeding, or breaking traffic rules, they should be taken to court.
You will need a car accident lawyer to ensure you get well compensated by the insurance company and at-fault party. Death, loss of limbs, broken bones, and loss of pregnancy are serious injuries that should be taken to court. When looking for a car accident lawyer, consider their experience, if they provide references willingly, if they are engaged in conversation, clear communication, and organized office space.