Choosing the right rug for your home can be a difficult process since there are so many of these products available today. It can be especially hard if you are not aware of some factors related to its quality and other features.
Also, there are too many production lines where you can buy cheap products, but they lack proper quality and design. Still, it can be very important for the design and outline of your living room and other parts of the home to have a suitable rug that will fit with furniture and other amenities.
Even if you find a store that is selling them for a higher price is not a guarantee that they are worth the value. First of all, you should learn more about different materials used in the production, and some features that might help you to determine whether it is suitable for your home.
When it comes to design, Persian rugs are one of the most popular in the world, and they are holding that title for a long time. However, their style is more traditional, and if you are interested in modern design, check persianandmodernrugs.com.
When you learn more about the main features, it will be easier for you to choose the right option, even when you are buying rugs online. In this article, we are going to introduce you to common materials and features that will help you to identify good quality from poor quality rugs.
Common Materials and Their Features
The selection according to the material can be very important. You should never focus only on the design since some other attributes might affect durability, maintenance, cleaning, and more. Here are the most common materials with their benefits and potential downsides.
- Polypropylene; The main feature of this model is that it is similar to wool, but represents a much cheaper option. It is resistant to mold and will be easy to clean. However, it has poor physical resistance, and you should never place a sofa, chair, or other furniture over it.
- Viscose; This is another synthetic option with some attributes that makes it similar to silk. It has an excellent design and can be compared with much more expensive rugs made of natural materials. Still, there is an important downside related to difficulties in cleaning it, which is affecting its durability.
- Polyester; This is one of the best options when it comes to artificial materials. It has some great features like durability, resistance to dirt, and can be great if you have kids and pets since it is anti-allergenic. On the other hand, the only issue is related to shedding, which means that it has a shorter lifespan than some other options.
- Nylon; It is convenient for cleaning and has excellent durability. Also, it is quite durable, and it won’t be a problem to place furniture over it. Nylon is one of the best options if you want to keep it for a longer time.
- Cotton; One of the best characteristics is that you can easily wash this model in the machine. Also, it has a decent resistance and lifespan. However, it might be difficult to keep it clean.
- Wool; This is one of the best options when it comes to natural materials. It offers durability, resistance, great design, and can be in great isolation from the heat on the floor. A high-quality wool rug can serve for decades.
- Silk; It is the most expensive material, which is not a surprise considering the quality and appearance. The only thing that you should pay attention to is to avoid common cleaning products with chemicals since they might damage the silk.
Characteristics of High-Quality Rugs
Even if you choose the right material and design, some other factors can affect the quality. For example, the density of knots is very important, especially for natural materials. Fewer knots can affect durability, isolation, it can be harder to clean it, and will be less comfortable. It is not difficult to notice if a rug has this downside.
Moreover, pay attention to details. It is not a rare case that people are trying to make cheaper copies of high-quality products. Therefore, if you find a cheap option that is made of expensive materials, check the main attributes to see whether it is worth buying.
If you are interested in buying a wool rug, which is the most popular option, be sure to check the producer and quality of wool used in the process. It is important to avoid companies that might mix the wool with cheaper materials. Besides that, pay attention to the color. If you are buying wool or silk, there should be more natural notes on these models.
Besides that, you might want to avoid tufted models. It can seem like an excellent option because of its design, but it can be difficult to clean it, it can collect a lot more dust and dirt, which is especially harmful to people with allergies. There is a reason why this option is much cheaper than other natural models.
Moreover, pay attention to the design, and be sure to select the one that will fit in your room properly. The best way to determine the material, size, and design and according to the place where you want to place it, are you planning to place furniture over it, do you have pets, kids, and potential issues with allergies.
When you learn more, it will be easier to choose the right model. Still, if you are planning to buy it online, be sure to check if the store is reliable. You can do that by looking for reviews and ratings. Therefore, you can see the experience of previous customers. Besides that, always select those retailers that offer money-return and a warranty of at least one year. That way, you can be more secure with your investment and avoid potential scams.