Got a relationships question?

worried girl

Get expert help on mates, dating, being in a couple and family life.

Related articles

Factors affecting drink

How your environment and other factors affect how alcohol works.

Dangerous drinking

Advice on spotting the signs that your drinking has become a problem.

Scarred for life by a drunk driver

Sandy, 22, was hit by a drunk driver whilst walking home one night. She tells what happened and how it affected her.

Our Community

Girl thinking

Need someone to talk to? Check out our message boards - a safe space to talk about whatever's on your mind :)

Local advice finder

Search our database of more than 16,500 local, regional and national organisations which offer advice and support.

Latest articles

One too many


In simple terms, how much alcohol can you drink before you're considered to be over the limit for driving? For example, how many glasses of wine, spirits or beer can you drink?


It can be really confusing trying to work out whether you're over the limit with your drinking. Alcohol is measured in units. One unit equals 10mg of alcohol. This is the amount of alcohol contained in a small glass of wine, a single pub measure of spirits or half a pint of beer.

If you have more than 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood, or 35mg of alcohol per 100ml of breath, you're over the limit for driving in the UK. This amount is roughly equivalent to two pints of regular strength lager. But remember, the drink-driving limit can't easily be translated into units because alcohol has a different effect on people according to their metabolism, weight, gender and how much they've had to eat. Because of this, two pints might affect one person more than another.

It's not a good idea to drink up to the limit just because you think you'll still be OK to drive - you don't need to be a drunk driver to be a danger on the roads. It's always better to avoid drinking altogether if you're planning to drive.

You might find it helpful to check out your units to see how much you drink in a week. Also, if you have concerns about alcohol you could contact Frank on 0800 77 66 00 for free advice and information.

Updated: 06/06/2011

Question answered by Addaction

  • Print this page
  • Share/Bookmark

We use cookies to make your experience of better. To accept cookies use 'continue', to find out how to get rid of them use 'manage cookies'.

continue manage cookies