The female orgasm
How was it for you? TheSite.org delves under the covers to find out more about the female orgasm.
What is the female orgasm?
A peak of sexual excitement, marking a moment of intense pleasure. The female orgasm lasts a few seconds, followed by a feeling of relaxation. Continued stimulation may also result in further orgasms. Unlike the men, some women are able to do this without the need to rest for a short period of time, smoke a cigarette or order in pizza.
Do women only climax during penetrative sex?
Far from it. The fact is very few women orgasm solely as a result of the penis penetrating the vagina, it's more likely to happen through stimulation (touching/rubbing/kissing) of the clitoris - the highly sensitive bump located at the top of the vaginal lips.
How does it feel?
The 'earth moves' differently for every woman. What's more it can vary in strength and duration each time. There is no all-embracing description of the female orgasm, but according to sources at The Site it can feel:
- "Soul sapping."
- "The same as it does for boys, only different."
- "A throbbing, electric sensation that spreads out through the body."
What are the physical signs?
Here are some general orgasm indicators, describing the build up and the moment itself:
- rising feeling of intense pleasure;
- increase in blood pressure and pulse rate;
- breathing quickens;
- increase in vaginal lubrication;
- clitoris becomes erect and exposed;
- breasts become enlarged, nipples erect;
- skin flushes, particularly the face and chest;
- pelvic muscle spasms, causing vaginal contractions and orgasmic sensations.
Why does it happen?
In men, the orgasm is all tied up with a specific reproductive function - sperm ejaculation. Women don't have to orgasm during sex in order to conceive, which makes the reason why it happens hard to pin down. Here are some of the more interesting (and questionable) theories, none of which address the simple fact - if it's enjoyable, who needs theories?
- After climax, you're more likely to lie down, thus increasing sperm retention and boosting your chances of conception!
- The muscular contractions associated with the female orgasm help pull sperm from the vagina to the cervix, again boosting conception chances.
- To create an emotional bond between lovers. Ahhhh.
- A means of communicating sexual satisfaction to your partner (always a good thing).
Read the comment policy
Use our free question and answer service and speak to an expert!