You are here:

Got a relationships question?

worried girl

Get expert help on mates, dating, being in a couple and family life.

Related articles

Jobseeker's Allowance

Wanna claim the dole? Here's how.

Income Tax

Think you're paying too much tax - or not enough? Read on.

National Insurance contributions

Find out why we pay NICs and if you're liable to pay them.

Our Community

Girl thinking

Need someone to talk to? Check out our message boards - a safe space to talk about whatever's on your mind :)

Was this helpful?


What do you think of askTheSite? Take our feedback survey and let us know.

Local advice finder

Search our database of more than 16,500 local, regional and national organisations which offer advice and support.

Latest articles

No joy with JSA


Having been employed for a number of years I was suddenly made redundant. I was unemployed for five months and then found a job which lasted nine months. I tried to reclaim Jobseekers Allowance but I have now been told that I cannot claim as I have not paid enough Class 1 National Insurance. Is it possible for me to pay this to the Inland Revenue in order to claim benefits?


You can't make up the National Insurance payments, but that doesn't mean you can't claim Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) at all. There are two sorts of JSA: contribution-based, which you have been refused; and income-based, which you may be able to claim depending on criteria such as your household income and savings.

If you have a partner and they are working, you may not meet the criteria for income-based JSA. However, your partner may be in a position to claim for other financial help such as Tax Credits or Income Support.

You may want to visit a local advice agency such as the Citizens Advice Bureau to see if they can run a full benefits check, or you could try an online calculator such as entitled to.

Updated: 05/09/2012

Question answered by CAB

  • Print this page
  • Share/Bookmark

We use cookies to make your experience of better. To accept cookies use 'continue', to find out how to get rid of them use 'manage cookies'.

continue manage cookies