Got a relationships question?

worried girl

Get expert help on mates, dating, being in a couple and family life.

Related articles

Problems with the post

You've waited ages for a parcel, but what do you do if it arrives in pieces or doesn't turn up at all?

Our Community

Girl thinking

Need someone to talk to? Check out our message boards - a safe space to talk about whatever's on your mind :)

Local advice finder

Search our database of more than 16,500 local, regional and national organisations which offer advice and support.

Latest articles

Unwanted mail


I've recently bought a house and I keep getting letters for previous owners - including letters from bailiffs. Is there anyway to stop them?


Many people find that when they move into a new house they get post for the previous owner and sometimes this can keep coming for months, if not years. Often those with debts don't have their mail forwarded after they move and resolving the issue is unfortunately not simple, and can be time consuming.

One of the first things you can do is to contact the mail preference service and register with them, both in your name, and that of the previous owner. This will stop most of the junk mail.

Next, you can register with the main credit reference agencies (Experian Limited, Equifax plc and Callcredit plc) that the previous owner no longer lives at that address. This will keep your credit rating intact and ensure any checks by bailiffs or credit companies will show the previous owners have left.

Finally, you can return all mail by crossing out the address writing on to the letter 'no longer at this address, return to sender' then just put them back in the post box.

Updated: 29/01/2013

Question answered by CAB

  • Print this page
  • Share/Bookmark

We use cookies to make your experience of better. To accept cookies use 'continue', to find out how to get rid of them use 'manage cookies'.

continue manage cookies