You are here:

Got a relationships question?

worried girl

Get expert help on mates, dating, being in a couple and family life.

Our Community

Girl thinking

Need someone to talk to? Check out our message boards - a safe space to talk about whatever's on your mind :)

Local advice finder

Search our database of more than 16,500 local, regional and national organisations which offer advice and support.

Latest articles

Red tape for toilets


I know someone who has an outside toilet at his home, is this legal? It just doesn't seem right.


The building regulations that outline where toilets can be placed only refer to new buildings. This means that as the toilets are already there the building regulations will not apply.

There may be grants or loans available to the person so that a toilet and bathroom can be built inside the house. Each local council will have its own policy about what and who they will fund so the person concerned should contact their local council to see if they are entitled to a grant or loan.

The Government also has an email enquiry service you can contact to find out more about building regulations.

Updated: 11/01/2005

Question answered by CAB

  • Print this page
  • Share/Bookmark

We use cookies to make your experience of better. To accept cookies use 'continue', to find out how to get rid of them use 'manage cookies'.

continue manage cookies