Alcohol facts and trivia
Random information that could save your life, or provide the winning answer on Who wants to be a Millionaire?.
- Alcohol features in almost a third of all UK divorce petitions, which means one or both partner's drinking habits have contributed to the bust up.
- 13,000 violent incidents take place outside UK bars, pubs or licensed premises, every week. Most are alcohol-related.
- Recent reports suggest that almost 50% of all British teenagers know how to buy bootlegged alcohol that has been smuggled into the country.
- Alcohol robs your body of vitamin B complex, a vital group of nutrients, deficiency of which can cause skin damage, diarrhoea and depression.
- Booze is believed to feature as a reason behind 25% of all school exclusions in the UK.
- Women may find their reaction to booze is affected by hormone level changes that occur during the menstrual cycle.
- An average 12% of males and 7% of females in the 16-19 age group show signs of alcohol dependency (source: Office of Population and Census Surveys).
- Alcohol related reasons and excuses are responsible for roughly 14 million lost working days in the UK every year.
- Booze features in almost 40% of all domestic violence incidents in the UK.
- Every Christmas in the UK, 10,000 people seek help for alcohol-related problems.
Read the comment policy
Use our free question and answer service and speak to an expert!