Let's Get Physical
In summer 2008 we asked you about your attitudes towards participation in sporting activities and the Olympics. You gave us an insight in to your lifestyles and showed mixed feelings towards London hosting the Games in 2012.
- 203 people aged 16-25 participated in the survey;
- All areas of the UK were represented;
- 62% of respondetns were female.
Participation in sporting activities and exercise
Just over half (51%) of you don't participate in regular sporting activities. The rest (49%) of you regularly take part in sport and of these, 95% take part every week.
The most popular sports were running, football, swimming and cycling. However, those of you who want to take part in sports outside of school, college or university don't always find it easy. Only 20% agreed with the statement: "It is easy to find opportunities to participate in sports."
Main motivations for taking part
- To keep fit (94%);
- For fun (68%);
- TO do soemthing positive (58%);
- To socialise (48%).
78% of you who are still at school participate in non-compulsory sports, and four in ten take part in organised sport outside school. 28% who take part in organised sport also help out by booking fixtures, arranging venues or coaching others.
Two thirds (66%) of you agreed with the statement: "It's too expensive to participate in organised sport", and three quarters (75%) agreed that: "More money should be spent on sporting facilities in the UK."
Future participation in sport
Almost three quarters (72%) of you like to try out new sports. Over 45 activities were listed and the most popular ones were martial arts, climbing, canoeing, kickboxing and horse riding.
Main things that prevent you from trying new sports are:
- Lack of facilities (77%);
- Too expensive (55%).
It's also worth noting that 6% of you feel the stigma attached to being unfit or overweight discourages people from taking part in sport.
72% of you said that you'd watched some of the Beijing Olympics and a further 18% were "glued to the television". 42% of you agreed with the statement: "The Olympic Games encourage me to try new sports" and over half (56%) of you agreed with the statement: "The Olympics inspire me to get more active".
When it came to the prospect of the London Olympics in 2012, 76% agreed it would encourage more children to get involved in sports. More than half (59%) agreed it would be good for the community and 85% agreed the Games would boost the UK tourist industry.
On the down side, 42% of you felt strongly that it would cause transport difficulties and 60% were concerned about an increase in security issues during the Games.
Over half (56%) of you said you'd be interested in volunteering at the London Olympics and only 39% had volunteered in any other way before.