In summer 2006 you told us about fabulous backpacking holidays, dodgy trips with the folks and where you would go on a dream break.
We're relieved to see that 94% of you take a long break at least once a year. 21% dare to take two breaks and a further 11% take time off three or four times. Short breaks are more popular though, as the majority (59%) take them twice a year and 29% take them three or more times a year.
Summer is the obvious time to take a holiday as over half (55%) of you choose that time of year. For 30% of you it depends on what sort of holiday it is.
Top ten reasons to go on holiday
- To relax: 83%
- To sightsee/explore: 72%
- To spend time with friends/family: 55%
- To get a suntan: 20%
- To have lots to eat and drink: 18%
- To get to know the locals: 11%
- To go to museums/galleries: 9%
- To party/go clubbing: 7%
- To do something sporty: 5%
- To experience other cultures: 4%
While a beach holiday sounds like bliss to 18% of you, 13% would happily plump for somewhere hot and sunny. 8% drool over the idea of going to South America and a further 8% dream of going everywhere citing NewYork for a shopping spree as a hot favourite.
- Independent booking: 49%
- Family of friends book for me: 36%
- Book through high street travel agent: 7%
- Book package holiday: 4%
- Other: 4%
The majority of you (39%) rave about Europe in your accounts of best holidays. Backpacking around Turkey, going to Brussels with your partner and clubbing in Spain were just a few of the experiences you hold close to your hearts. 17% of you said that your favourite holiday has been in the USA or Canada.
Top five accommodation choices
- Basic, but clean hotels: 42%
- Hostels or fleabag hotels: 10%
- Camping: 7%
- Self catering apartments: 4%
- Caravans: 4%
Learning the lingo
Learning the basics of the local language is important for 40% of you while slightly less of you, 35%, make sure you've got the hang of 'yes', 'no' and 'beer'. 12% don't bother, arguing that most people in different countries speak English anyway. 4% only go to places where English is the first language and 3% always make sure you're fluent in the country's mother tongue.
Do you budget your bucks or splash the cash?
- I have enough for nice meals and sightseeing: 45%
- I spend as little as possible: 14%
- I save up loads and splurge it all: 13%
- My family/friends/partner pay for everything: 13%
- I have enough for a few drinks with food: 12%
- Other: 4%
A snow trip sharing a room with your mother was enough for one of you to wish you were back in lectures. In fact 16% of you said that holidays with family were the ones you remember being the worst. Dodgy transfers and seedy hotels were also the topic of your bad holiday experiences. A fortunate 16% of you claim to have never had a bad holiday.