You are here:

Got a relationships question?

worried girl

Get expert help on mates, dating, being in a couple and family life.

Next Steps

Related articles

Income Tax

Think you're paying too much tax - or not enough? Read on.

Starting your own business

From time to time, we all fancy being our own boss. But is it really right for you?

Tax and self employment

Find out how to handle tax and NI contributions if you're self employed.

Sweet success

Fraser tells us how his gran inspired him to start his own business.

Starting my own charity

23-year-old Rob set up his own charity distributing books to schools in Tanzania. Here's his story.

Being self-employed: the dance tutor

Get some self-employment tips and listen to Aaron explain his big business idea.

Our Community

Girl thinking

Need someone to talk to? Check out our message boards - a safe space to talk about whatever's on your mind :)

Local advice finder

Search our database of more than 16,500 local, regional and national organisations which offer advice and support.

Latest articles

Self Assessment

Confused about Self Assessment tax forms? We get the answers to the most common queries about the dreaded tax return.

When do I need to fill in a Self Assessment form?

If you're self employed, run a company, or you receive income that you haven't already paid tax on you will need to fill out a Self Assessment form so HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) can find out how much tax you should pay.

If your only income is earnings from your job, you usually won't need to fill a form out because the right amount of tax should be taken automatically from your wages under PAYE.

It's your job to tell HMRC if you need to pay tax on money you receive that isn't already being taxed, not HMRC's job to work it out - for instance if you start self-employment. After you've told HMRC about it they should send you a tax return.

Where do I get a Self Assessment form and what's the deadline?

You can either complete the Self Assessment form online or on paper. If you fill in a paper form, you need to do it by October 31 following the tax year you are completing details for (the tax year runs from April 6th one year to April 5th the following year). If you do it online the deadline is January 31 after the tax year.

To complete the form online, go to HMRC's website, click on Self Assessment and register. You'll then be sent a secure password in the post. This can take around seven working days to come through, so don't leave it too late. Alternatively you can contact the HMRC who will send you a paper version.

The Self Assessment form looks massive - how do I fill it in?

When you receive the tax return form you'll also be sent lots of notes and help sheets. If you get stuck you can call a special helpline on 0845 900 0444, open everyday until 8pm. Anyone can fill the form out for you as long as you sign and date it and make sure that all the details on the form are correct.

What will happen if I don't fill the form out?

If you're late completing the form, you will be charged a penalty of £100 (unless you owe less than £100 in tax). If you delay further, more penalties can be charged.

What are the most common mistakes made?

The most common mistake made when filling out a Self Assessment form is to forget to sign and date the form or to leave some details out, so always check you've answered all the relevant questions before you send it off.

What happens when I fill in my form? Will I have to pay more tax?

You only have to pay tax on amounts over your tax-free allowance, so if you've already had the correct tax deducted by your employer then you won't have to pay it again. If you fill in your form online you'll see a calculation of your tax come up straight away and if you fill in a paper form, HMRC will tell you how much tax you owe. You might also have to make a 'payment on account', which is basically a payment in advance that counts towards next year's tax bill.

What do I need to prove my income?

If you're employed you should receive a P60 at the end of the tax year - this will tell you your earnings and tax deductions for the year. If you've left any jobs during the year then you will have received a P45, so make sure you keep hold of them. If you're self employed you should keep a full and accurate business record and you should also show any money you have coming in and out of any business accounts.

You do not usually have to submit proof of your income with the tax return itself, but HMRC can sometimes ask you questions about the return later, so be prepared to back up your figures if asked.  

I'm a student with a small money-making hobby. Am I self employed?

If you have a hobby that brings in some money, you may be considered to be self employed and will need to put details on your tax return. This includes items you are selling on online auction sites beyond getting rid of some stuff you don't want. The best thing to do is to contact your local tax office to get further advice.

How long do I need to keep my tax records for?

You will need to retain your records for five years from the latest date by which your tax return has to be sent in. 

Where can I get help?

HMRC can help answer questions about completing your tax form, but if you don't have the time or confidence to handle your own tax affairs you'll need to get professional help.

You can get much more information on the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group (LITRG) website and from the charity TaxAid (0845 120 3779).

If you can afford to pay someone you will need a tax advisor or accountant. Start by asking your family or friends to recommend a good one. Make sure they are registered with one of the professional bodies: CIOT; ATTICAS; ICAEW; or ACCA.

Charges vary enormously so make sure the costs are not going to outweigh the savings. Always get a firm quote before they start to act for you. For a simple tax return service you can expect to pay a fee of at least £100.

Updated: 09/01/2013

  • Print this page
  • Share/Bookmark

We use cookies to make your experience of better. To accept cookies use 'continue', to find out how to get rid of them use 'manage cookies'.

continue manage cookies