You are here:

Got a relationships question?

worried girl

Get expert help on mates, dating, being in a couple and family life.

Next Steps

  • Amicus - Union dedicated to serving the needs and best interests of its members who are currently experiencing life in the modern workplace.

Related articles

Health and safety at work

The law puts responsibility on employers and employees to look after health and safety at work.

Work-related stress

What is work-related stress and how can you sort it out?

Our Community

Girl thinking

Need someone to talk to? Check out our message boards - a safe space to talk about whatever's on your mind :)

Local advice finder

Search our database of more than 16,500 local, regional and national organisations which offer advice and support.

Latest articles

Temper the temperature


I work in an office that's sweltering in the summer freezing in the winter. Are there any guidelines for temperature control at work?


There is a legal minimum temperature in the workplace, but strangely not a maximum. In most places like offices and shops, where there is not a great deal of strenuous manual work, the minimum temperature is 16C. For places where work of a more physical nature takes place the minimum temperature is 13C. Even so, they are only guidelines and not enforceable by law.

If you're working in a cold store or another large open building, such as a warehouse, where it would be difficult or impossible to keep to these temperatures, the company should provide suitable clothing and extra rest breaks to allow you to warm up.

When it comes to the maximum temperature the law becomes ambiguous. All employers must ensure that the temperature of the workplace does not have a detrimental effect on the health of the employees and all reasonable steps must be taken to achieve a comfortable temperature. The problem is it's not clear what the phrase 'reasonable steps' actually implies.

If you would like to test whether or not the situation in your workplace is reasonable you can contact the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and make a complaint. You should know that if you do make a complaint to the HSE the company could fire you. If they were to do so it could be classed as an automatic unfair dismissal and as, such you, could make a claim to an Employment Tribunal for compensation.

Before making an official complaint you may want to consider talking to someone from Acas (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) on 08457 474747 or the HSE on 0845 345 0055 and ask their advice on a way forward. It is possible that you could report the issue anonymously which would help to avoid any issues around dismissal.

It's also worth considering simply talking to your supervisor or boss about the situation. They may be sympathetic to the issue, and share your interest in making your working environment more comfortable. For further help and advice, contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB).

Updated: 29/01/2013

Question answered by CAB

  • Print this page
  • Share/Bookmark

We use cookies to make your experience of better. To accept cookies use 'continue', to find out how to get rid of them use 'manage cookies'.

continue manage cookies