Got a relationships question?

worried girl

Get expert help on mates, dating, being in a couple and family life.

Related articles

Victim support

TheSite finds you the right kind of help, quickly.

Phone harassment

Cut out the prank calls, and deal with the perpetrators.

Reporting a crime

Advice on how to report a crime to the police.

Our Community

Girl thinking

Need someone to talk to? Check out our message boards - a safe space to talk about whatever's on your mind :)

Local advice finder

Search our database of more than 16,500 local, regional and national organisations which offer advice and support.

Latest articles

Nuisance caller


I received a very abusive and threatening phone call late at night about my wife from a work colleague who she manages. How can we stop this happening again?


Making a malicious phone call could be a criminal offence, so you would be within your rights to report the incident to the police. If the phone calls or other such behaviour re-occur it might be worth keeping a diary to assist the police. The police have the power to authorise your phone service provider to trace the calls and override any measures put in place by the caller to try to conceal their identity.

You should be aware that should the case go to court you will be required to stand as a witness. You could also consider taking civil action to obtain an injunction against the caller. This can be a stressful process, but would certainly be worth considering if the calls persist.

Since the harassment is not taking place at work your wife's employer cannot act.

Most phone service providers have procedures in place in order to deal with any such problems, look for the code of practice on the website of the phone company you use. BT has specially trained staff to help clients take action to solve the problem of malicious phone calls. You can call them 24 hours a day on Freefone 0800 661 441.

The easiest option is probably to change your telephone number and make sure that the new number is ex-directory. This way you avoid further phone calls and the problems related to pursuing the caller. If you begin to receive phone calls on this new number you may wish to contact the police.

Updated: 29/01/2013

Question answered by CAB

  • Print this page
  • Share/Bookmark

We use cookies to make your experience of better. To accept cookies use 'continue', to find out how to get rid of them use 'manage cookies'.

continue manage cookies