You are here:

Got a relationships question?

worried girl

Get expert help on mates, dating, being in a couple and family life.

Related articles


Thinking of drinking? Get the facts of alcohol.

What drink does

Information on the reasons why we react to alcohol the way we do.

Safe drinking

Some simple tips to protect your body and mind.

Our Community

Girl thinking

Need someone to talk to? Check out our message boards - a safe space to talk about whatever's on your mind :)

Local advice finder

Search our database of more than 16,500 local, regional and national organisations which offer advice and support.

Latest articles

Drunk and dangerous


Why do I get so angry and abusive when I'm drunk? I'm always upsetting people I care about and I don't understand why it happens to me.


It is fairly common for people to do things they regret when they've been drinking. Saying that, if you continue to get angry when you're drunk and say and do things you wouldn't normally, you might find that your relationships suffer.

Alcohol makes people loosen up. This often leads to doing things they regret like saying hurtful things or getting into fights. It might be that when you are sober you keep your feelings to yourself and when you're drunk they all come out. If this is the case you should think about opening up to people about how you feel when you're sober and able to be more diplomatic. If you keep things inside they can build up until they explode, and alcohol fuels the explosion.

It might be helpful to learn more about the various effects of drinking alcohol. Binge drinking - drinking alcohol solely to get drunk - can be particularly dangerous.

If you'd like to talk to someone about the effect this is having on your relationships you can call SupportLine on 020 8554 9004 for a confidential chat with an advisor. If you would like to get some advice and information about keeping yourself under control while drinking, or you're worried about your drinking you can call Drinkline on 0800 917 8282 or you can contact Frank on 0800 77 66 00.

Updated: 03/02/2012

Question answered by Addaction

  • Print this page
  • Share/Bookmark

We use cookies to make your experience of better. To accept cookies use 'continue', to find out how to get rid of them use 'manage cookies'.

continue manage cookies